“Really nice win, of course yesterday was a little bit tight, but we showed some good speeds today. The stages suited us well today, we managed to take some good time on the others and the last two stages was just cruising in and securing it in,” Ole Christian Veiby said today.
This is Veiby’s second event in the Asia-Pacific Championships and first round win. Veiby was joined by team MRF teammate Gaurav Gill on the Canberra International Airport podium in second spot.
Jari Ketomaa was very happy with his third placing in his MPart Mistubishi AP4 Mirage. “We managed to do some fastest stage times today, the performance of the car and the tyres has been very good. In the end I am disappointed, we could be fighting to win this rally, we had some mistakes yesterday but that is what happens when you are pushing. When everything goes clear we can definitely win these stages. When you get everyone around you doing the best you can then we will only go forward,” Ketomaa concluded.
Top Australian was Brad Markovic in his AutoOne Subaru Impreza, followed home in 6th by the father and daughter team of Andrew and Kirra Penny.
Next up was Indian driver PG Abhilash gradually getting more confidence in his ex-Cody Crocker Subaru Impreza. Peter Dunn was 8th just over a minute ahead of Japanese driver Fuyuhiko Takahashi in Ahresty Subaru. Rounding out the top-ten was West Australian John O’Dowd.
The event has seen record attendance numbers from the Canberra community, eager to check out what the international cars have had to offer.
2017 National Capital Rally, Final APRC Results
1. Ole Christian Veiby, Skoda Fabia R52:15:11.2
2. Gaurav Gill, Skoda Fabia R5, +00:49.3
3. Jari Ketomaa, Mitsubishi Mirage AP4, +02:05.6
4. Robert Blomberg, Mitsubishi Mirage AP4 , +14:19.0
5. Brad Markovic, Subaru Impreza WRX, +15:36.6
6. Andrew Penny, Subaru Impreza WRX, +17:33.7
7. PG Abilhash, Subaru Impreza WRX, +23:48.7
8. Peter Dunn, Subaru Impreza WRX, +24:13.7
9. Fuyuhiko Takahashi, Subaru Impreza WRX, +25:26.0
10. John O’Dowd, Subaru Impreza WRX, +25:56.8