Finishing fastest across the nine stage, 133 km competition of the volcanic region in Northern Sumatra, the pairing returned to the ceremonial finish at Aek Nauli with a lead of 3min 24.9sec.
In second place was H Rahmat and co-driver Hade Mbol (Hyundai i20N Rally 2), with Musa Rajekshah and Hervian Soejono (Skoda Fabia Rally 2) in third, a further 14.6sec behind.
A total of 10 cars ended up starting the qualifying round for the APRC title, each point-scoring toward the Asia Cup – a sub-title. All 10 starters finished, including seven Rally 2 specification cars, one Yaris Proto and one Yaris AP4 with a single Ford Fiesta Rally 3 (Group N) specification car.
Fastest on the first stage, Gelael and Magalhaes quietly extended their lead over the rest of the field, even following a puncture on the fourth test.
As the teams returned to the overnight park, there was a difference of 2min 11.3sec between the top-two positions.
The theme continued on the Sunday – along with settled mild weather. The remaining four stages left the crews focussed on settling for position behind Gelael and Magalhaes growing lead.
Following the event celebrations competition now looks toward the next qualifying and Asia Cup round, scheduled to be held at China’s Rally Longyou, 27-29 October.
It will be the penultimate round for the 2023 season before a return to Indonesia for the season final and all-in championship decider: 24-26 November.
2023 Danau Toba Rally – APRC Final Results
1. Sean Gelael / Hugo Magalhaes, RC2 Hyundai i20 N Rally2, 1:21:53.5
2. H.Rahmat / Hade Mboi, RC2 Hyundai i20 N Rally2 +3:24.9
3. Musa Rajekshah / Hervian Soejono, RC2 Skoda Fabia Rally2, +3:39.5
4. H Rihans Variza/ Anthony Sarwono, RC2 Ford Fiesta Rally2, +3:54.5
5. Achmad Aldio Oekon / Respati Adhi, RC3 Ford Fiesta Rally3, +7:32.4
6. Dypo Fitramadhan / Edwin A.Nasution, RC2 Ford Fiesta Rally2, +11:11.7
7. Ryan Nirwan / Adi Indiarto, RC2 Toyota GR Yaris AP4, +14:11.9
8. H Atuy Fathurrahman / Indra Artanto, RC2 Skoda Fabia Rally2, +17:11.2
9. Bimo Pradikto / M Herkusuma, RC3 Toyota Yaris Proto, +18:22.2
10. Ricardo Gelael / Gabriel Morales, RC2 Citroen C3 Rally2, +19:04.4
Photo courtesy: Hugo Magalhaes