It WILL be hot, will it wet too?
Less than two weeks to go to Malaysian Rally (www.malaysianrally.com) and the entry list is out with Skoda Fabia S2000’s of Lappi and Gill at the top of the list.
Joining the full-time APRC contenders in Malaysia and fighting for the Asia Cup will be last years Asia Cup champion Yuya Sumiyama (Japan) and team-mate Shuhei Muta (Japan) in Cusco Subaru’s.
They’ll be joined by Japanese driver Tomohide Hasegawa in the Hasepro Mitsubishi and Thailand’s Chaiyan Longton in a Suzuki Swift.
Skoda driver Esapekka Lappi (Finland) leads the series with 78 points, Sanjay Takale (India) with 75 and in third place Gaurav Gill (India) 71.5.
Cusco team-mates Hiroshi Asakura (Japan) and Michael Young (New Zealand) are equal 4th , both on 28 points.
– Never having been to Malaysia, how will Lappi contend with the heat/humidity?
– Takale is almost on home ground (the Indian driver has extensive experience in Malaysia) and this he’s in a 4WD Subaru Impreza, can he stand on top of the podium?
– Gill has been a regular competitor at Malaysian Rally and has the fastest car (apart from team-mate Lappi) – he’d have to be favorite to win right??
Asakura’s first time in Malaysia and in a two-wheel car, just to make the finish will be a challenge –
especially if its wet. He showed plenty of grit and determination in Australia though.
– Young has a new co-driver for this event, Malcolm Read from New Zealand. Can he control the speed of his young charger? How will the Toyota Vitz cope with the mud and slippery conditions?
– Weather is always a factor in Malaysia. It WILL be hot, but the question is will it be wet too?