APRC regular Rifat Sungkar, and his new co-driver Bill Hayes, have completed a trouble-free run in the first event of the Indonesian national rally series. Held over the weekend in the Banyuasin Regency rubber plantation, the event was won by Englishman David Maslen and his co-driver Sean Gelael.
Driving a Subaru Impreza WRX, Maslen held a 54 sec. lead by the end of Saturdays eight special stages, the margin increasing to more than two minutes by the end of Sundays seven competitive stages.
For Rifat, the event was good hit-out ahead of his first APRC event in Canberra.
With Bill Hayes back in the co-driver seat, Rifat was satisfied with second place. “To finish in second place is good…the car has not yet been fully developed and there is more speed to come.”
Rizal Sungkar, driving a Mitsubishi Evo 8, claimed third place behind his brother, while 2006 Indonesian champion Ricardo Gelael and Kiwi co-driver Tony Sircombe brought home their Impreza in fourth place.
1. David Maslan/Sean Gelael, Subaru Impreza WRX 2:6:47
2. Rifat Sungkar/Bill Hayes, Subaru Impreza WRX 2:9:6,0
3. Rizal Sungkar/Anthony Sarwono, Mitsubishi Evo 2:10:28
4. Ricardo Gelael/Tony Sircombe, Subaru Impreza WRX 2:11:35
5. Sadikin Aksa/Mago Sarwono, Mitsubishi Evo IX 2:14:7,0
6. Benny Lautan/Edwin Nasution N, Subaru Impreza WRX 2:22:53
7. Adwitya Amandio/oy Martadinata, Mitsubishi Lancer 2:37:10
8. Eddy WS/Syariful Adil, Suzuki 2:38:19
9. Riezka Donalsha/Doni Wardono, Mitsubishi Lancer 2:38:50
10. Subhan Aksa/Hade Mboi, Mitsubishi Evo 2:39:20
Photos courtesy of www.rallyindonesia.com