Italian driver Nico Caldarola has won Rally Thailand – the final round of the 2001 Asia Pacific Rally Championship, beating new champion Karamjit Singh by 25 seconds.
In finishing second, Proton driver Singh won the overall Asia Pacific Rally Championship title for the first time – adding to his Group N title won in China.
Singh pushed hard on the final day but eventually opted for a safe second place when SS17 was cancelled. Singh’s EON Motorsport team-mate Jimmy Low was third.
For Caldarola two wins in two events makes up for the disastrous start to his season – two crashes in two events: “After my second crash in Rotorua I nearly decided to stop – but thankfully I didn’t – winning the last two events is fantastic for me and the Top Run team.”
Rally Thailand 2001 – Final Results
1. Nico Caldarola / Paola Cecchini (Italy), Mitsubishi Lancer Vl (N4), 2.33.03
2. Karamjit Singh / Allen Oh (MAL), Proton Pert (N4), 2.33.28
3. Jimmy Low / Muhamad Hilmi (MAL), Proton Pert, 2.36.20
4. Mana Pornsircherd / Vichien Vilailak, Honda Civic, 2.51.04
5. Gunaseelan Rajoo / Jayaselan Rajoo, Proton Satria, 2.52.07