Held in the northern Sumatra region of Parapat, it was far from an easy run for the pair, having to rise through the ranks of the faster charging juniors. Winning the first seven tests, Sean Gelael and Hugo Magalhaes in a Citroen C3 looked to have the event sewn up with more than a two minute advantage. A broken water pump sidelined the pair into retirement, allowing a rise in position by Rifat and Musa Rajekshah / Hervian Soejono (Skoda Fabia R5).
Ricardo Gelael/Rony Maroun (Skoda Fabia) moved to third by the 10th stage – a position they held to claim the final podium position.
“I feel very happy to be a champion at the Lake Toba Rally. But today I have to thank Sean (Gelael) who can prove that young athletes can be faster than senior athletes,” said Rifat.
While only four of the original eight starters finished they all secured eligibility for the all-in championship decider, being held at Coffs Harbour, Australia, 25 – 27 November.
DANAU TOBA RALLY 2022 – Final Results
1. Rifat Sungkar / Benjamin Searcy, Mitsubishi Xpander, 2:02:24.4
2. Musa Rajekshah / Hervian Soejono, Skoda Fabia, +01:48.6
3. Ricardo Gelael / Rony Maroun, Citroen C3, +10:08.6
4. H.Atuy Faturahman / Achmad Faisal, Skoda Fabia, +10:54.7
5. Sean Gelael / Hugo Magalhaes, Citroen C3, +18:53.1
Photo: Rialini Nonnie Rering